Saturday, January 26, 2013

Introducing Recycle Woman to the World!

After a year of promoting my platform as Miss Alameda and the launch of my M.A.S.C (Miss Alameda Says Compost!) program, I came to realize how many people were really confused about basic recycling and composting programs here in the Bay Area. People would tell me that they don’t recycle because they are confused, or that they recycle the bare minimum, soda cans and/or plastic bottles for the CRV. Once I would mention composting, as in separating food waste from the landfill, I would notice people’s eyes glaze over as if shutting down further information. Most people I talked to assumed when I spoke of composting at home meant having a worm farm in their back yard. Don’t get me wrong, worm farms are great, but most people are not at that level and simple recycling is a challenge. I realized that getting food waste out of the landfill and increasing resource recovery was more of a challenge than I initially thought. As a result I decided to incorporate my talents and passion as an actress into promoting and bringing awareness to the basics of recycling and composting curb side programs, a mini spin-off of the M.A.S.C program. With support from StopWaste.org, the Altamont Education Advisory Board in Livermore, Northern California Recycling Association, Alameda County Industries, the City of Alameda and Mayor Marie Gilmore, my former acting mentor Donald Lacy and my amazing cast and crew, I was able to star and produce my first movie, “Recycle Woman.” With a $10,000 budget from grants and only three days to film, “Recycle Woman,” to me is a miracle in itself. For the first time since its “green carpet” release in November 25th, 2011 and open screenings in 2012, I am excited to release my short film, “Recycle Woman.” For more information about the “green carpet” events, press coverage on “Recycle Woman” and more go to: http://www.recyclewomanthemovie.com/

Recycle Woman from Jessica Jane Robinson on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment